Can Secondhand September change your mindset for the longterm?
#SecondHandSeptember launched today and we are excited to be part of this initiative.
We are a small business committed to sustainability and the circular economy. Oxfam is giving us all the opportunity to affect change on a global scale, now starting today we can all make a difference.
Initially launched last year by Oxfam, to encourage all fashion lovers to rethink the way they consume fast fashion and to highlight the impact it has on the environment. It’s not a coincidence that this campaign coincides with London Fashion Week (or should have done).
Here’s some things to think about:
- 13 million items of clothing end up in landfill every week in the UK alone (Oxfam)
- The average person buys 60% more items of clothing and keeps them for about half as long as they did 15 years ago (Greenpeace 2017)
- The water needed to make one t-shirt and a pair of jeans would take 13 years to drink (Oxfam)
- Fashion makes up 10% of all greenhouse gas emissions from human activity (UNECE)
The good news is that secondhand is not only considered acceptable but is bang on trend! And it’s never been easier.
Two things you can to do to reduce your impact on the environment:
- Join the team at Now It’s Mine and take the Oxfam 30 day pledge – shop only secondhand for the month of September (and hopefully longer!)
- Have a clear out – whether it’s good quality stuff for your local Oxfam shop or consigning a Chanel bag with us
If we’ve convinced you to explore the preloved market, take a look at https://nowitsmine.co.uk/shop/.
Join the movement. Join Secondhand September.
Please find out more at: https://oxfamapps.org/secondhandseptember/
Love B&R x